How to make a Winter Oxtail Stew.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
- 2.5 lbs beef oxtail
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 celery root, chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 quart beef stock
- Mix the 2 cups red wine, red wine vinegar and the Dijon mustard in a bowl.
- Add the oxtail and mix until oxtail is fully coated.
- Refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove the oxtail from marinade and discard the liquid.
- In a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Sear the oxtail until browned on all sides.
- Add the diced vegetables and let cook for five minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and one cup of red wine, scrapping the bottom of the pot to remove any stuck vegetable bits.
- Add beef broth and bring to a boil.
- Remove the pot and place in the oven for 3 hours, or until meat is falling off the bone.