How to make Veracruz Style Fish.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 4 tilapia fillets (5.5 oz each)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 onion, sliced in thin rounds
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced in strips
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 15 green olives
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Sprigs of cilantro for garnish (if desired)
- 1 lemon, sliced (if desired)
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of oil over a low to medium heat.
- Add onion, peppers and garlic and cook until onion is translucent.
- Do not burn.
- Add diced tomatoes with liquid, stir in oregano, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 5 minutes and add olives and capers.
- Cook for 5 minutes more. Remove from heat. Remove bay leaves.
- In a separate skillet, heat the other 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Carefully place fish fillets in center of pan and cook for 5 minutes or until fillets begin to brown.
- Turn only once and fry for 5 minutes more.
- Add tomato mixture over fillets and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- To serve, carefully place each fillet on a plate and pour tomato sauce on top.
- Garnish with cilantro springs, a squeeze of lemon and serve with white rice.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.