How to make a Veal Scallopini with Creamy Mushroom Sauce.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 6-8 veal cutlets about 1/8″ thick
- 2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil or oregano or a combination, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 1 large garlic clove pressed
- 1-2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 Tbsp brined capers rinsed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Sprinkle each veal cutlet with salt and pepper.
- Gently pat down to make the seasoning stick.
- Dredge each cutlet in flour and set aside.
- Another method is to combine 2 tablespoons of flour with salt and pepper in a Ziploc bag, add veal scallopini, seal and shake until the meat is evenly covered with flour and seasoning.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over high heat with olive oil, until the oil shimmers.
- Cook veal cutlets, 3-4 at a time, turning once, until browned and just cooked through, about 1 minute per side.
- Transfer scallopini to a separate plate and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, add the butter and heat until starts to simmer.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes, until tender.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of flour and keep stirring until well incorporated.
- Add the chicken broth, lemon juice, capers and white wine and bring to simmer, stirring and scraping any brown bits from the bottom.
- Continue cooking until the sauce has thickened a little.
- A couple of minutes will suffice.
- Don’t make it too thick.
- Taste for salt and adjust, if needed.
- Add the tomatoes and the chopped basil, and continue sauteing for about a minute, until the tomatoes slightly softened up.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the veal scallopini back to the pan and spoon the sauce with mushrooms and tomatoes over the meat.
- This will help bring the veal scallopini back to target temperature.
- Serve immediately with your favourite side dish.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.