How to make a Valencian Seafood Noodle Paella.
Ingredients: Serves 6-8
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ large Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 150g prepared squid, chopped into 1cm pieces
- ¼-½ tsp saffron, toasted in a dry pan
- 1 tsp smoked sweet pimentos
- 1 tsp smoked hot pimenton
- 2 large fresh tomatoes on the vine, finely chopped
- 1 fat garlic clove, crushed
- 100g frozen peas
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 650ml chicken stock
- 500g fideu pasta
- 200g sustainable peeled raw tiger prawns
- 200g cooked mussels, in the shells if possible, drained
- Lemon wedges for squeezing
You’ll also need…
- 34-36cm paella pan or large shallow casserole
- Heat the olive oil in the pan over a medium-high heat, then fry the onion and pepper until soft (about 8 minutes).
- Stir in the squid and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the saffron and both types of pimentón, stirring for a minute over the heat.
- Add the tomatoes and garlic.
- Stir in the peas and herbs, then pour in the stock.
- Season well.
- Bring to a simmer, then stir in the pasta.
- Bring back to the boil and bubble over a medium-high heat, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Push the prawns into the pasta, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the mussels, tucking the hinges down into the pasta.
- Cover the pan with 2 sheets of thick foil and simmer for 5-10 minutes over the heat until all the mussels are heated through.
- Take the pan off the heat and set aside to rest for 5 minutes, covered with the foil.
- Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.