How to make a Valencian Eel Stew.
Too many people the thought of eating eels is something they have never considered. They are often thought of too snake- like to eat, but they are a fish, and one that is too overlooked.
Ingredients: Serves 4.
1 Kg/ 2.2 lbs of Eels.
1 Kg/ 2.2lbs of Potatoes.
6 Gloves of Garlic, crushed. 4 are for the stock, 2 for the thickener.
1/2 Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper.
8 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
3 Teaspoons of sweet paprika.
Salt and Pepper.
Water (enough to cover ingredients)
2 Slices of Stale White Bread. This is needed to make breadcrumbs.
2 Tablespoons of Ground Almonds.
- First of all prepare the thickener.
- To do this, first grate the stale bread into breadcrumbs.
- Then place the breadcrumbs in a small bowl.
- Stir in the ground almonds and 2 gloves of the crushed garlic.
- Leave aside to use later.
- Now, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the remaining crushed garlic, and fry over a low heat until softened. Remove from heat.
- Add the paprika and chilli and stir into the oil for a few seconds.
- Next add the potatoes and stir into the spices and garlic until they are covered.
- Pour enough water to cover the potatoes generously.
- Sprinkle with a good pinch of salt.
- Bring the water to the boil.
- Then cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the chopped eels and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Don’t stir the eels as they cook, they may fall apart.
- When the 15 minutes is up, add the breadcrumb mix.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for a further 10 minutes.
Serve with fresh crusty bread!