How to make Torrijas.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
- 1 Baguette
- 750 ml Milk
- 250 ml Single cream
- 1 stick Cinammon
- 200 g White sugar
- 50 g Icing sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Lemon – Zest only
- 40 g Ground cinammon
- 500 ml Extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the baguette in 10 slices of 1 to 2 cm thickness each.
- Heat the milk in a pot together with the lemon zest and the cinnamon stick.
- Add the sugar to the milk and mix it thoroughly. In goes the cream.
- When it starts boiling remove from the heat.
- Put the bread slices in a shallow dish, one next to each other.
- Pour the sieved milk over and leave it for a couple of hours so the bread gets well soaked.
- Beat the eggs and reserve.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is very hot, take each one of the bread slices and very gently, introduce them in the beaten eggs.
- Fry them on both sides being careful not to break them in the process.
- Once golden, take them out the pan and leave them on a dish with absorbent kitchen towels so they absorb any oil excess.
- Transfer the torrijas to a serving plate and sprinkle a mix of icing sugar and ground cinnamon over them.
- Let them cool down before serving.
- The torrijas get better overnight.
- In any case, let them cool down before serving.
- As a suggestion, you can quickly make a mild syrup to accompany with, using water, sugar and your personal choice of liqueur.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.