How to make Thai Fried Rice.
Ingredients: Serves 4-6
For the Sauce:
- 3 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoon fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
For the Stir Fry:
- 3 Thai bird’s eye chillies
- 4 peeled whole garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup thinly sliced onion
- 12 shrimp (cleaned and deveined)
- 3 cups cooked Jasmine rice
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup packed Thai basil (roughly torn)
- Start by gathering all the ingredients.
- Making this fried rice hardly takes any time, but needs to be quick while stir-frying it.
- To make the process quick and smooth, make sure all the ingredients required are prepared and kept next to the cooking counter.
- Make sure the rice is already cooked and cooled well.
- It is important to use cooled rice to keep the grains separate.
- If the rice is freshly cooked, the fried rice will turn out mushy.
- Prepare the shrimp.
- If using frozen shrimp, thaw them to room temperature.
- Wash them and pat them dry using a kitchen towel.
- If using fresh shrimp, remove the head and tail.
- Remove the vein using a sharp paring knife.
- Wash the shrimp well and pat dry.
- If making a vegetarian version, chop the vegetables and keep them ready.
- Mix the ingredients for the sauce that are 3 tsp soy sauce, 2 tsp oyster sauce, 2 tsp fish sauce and ½ tsp brown sugar in a small mixing bowl and keep aside.
- For the vegetarian version, skip adding fish sauce and oyster sauce.
- You can replace soy sauce with tamari for a gluten-free version.
- Add 2-3 bird’s eye chillies, 3-4 peeled cloves of garlic, and 1 tsp salt in a mortar and pestle and pound to make a coarse paste.
- Heat 3 tbsp vegetable oil in a wok or a large pan on high heat.
- Once the oil is very hot, add the crushed garlic and red chillies and saute for 8-10 seconds.
- Add ½ cup thinly sliced onion and fry for 4-5 seconds.
- Add 10-12 shrimp and cook until they turn pink in color, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the sauce mixture and 3 cups of cooked rice and mix everything well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, ¼ cup chopped green onion and 1 cup packed Thai basil (roughly torn), and mix well.
- Serve hot with sliced tomato, cucumber and lime wedges.