How to make a Sweet and Sour Orange Chicken.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, skinless, cut into cubes
- 1 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 egg
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup ice water
- vegetable oil for frying
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup orange marmalade
- ¼ cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons water
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoons soy sauce
- ¾ teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Beat the ice water and egg together in a bowl using a whisk or a fork.
- Add the baking soda, salt and mix to combine.
- Add 1 cup of flour to the water mixture and mix until blended but lumpy.
- Place the remaining 1 cup of flour in a separate bowl.
- Cover each piece of chicken in flour, then move to the egg mixture and cover, letting excess batter drip off.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large, deep frying pan over medium heat until a drop of water crackles when placed into oil.
- Place the chicken into the hot oil and fry, flipping if needed, until no longer pink in the centre and golden brown, for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- Combine the cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl.
- Combine the sugar, ketchup, vinegar, 1/2 cup water, orange marmalade, pineapple, pineapple juice, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and add the cornstarch mixture.
- Reduce heat and let it simmer, stirring frequently, until desired thickness is reached.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve.
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]