How to make a Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew.
Ingredients: Serves 6
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 6 medium carrots peeled and chopped into 2″ pieces
- 4 medium sweet potatoes roughly 2 ½-3 cups puréed
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3-4 tbsp yellow curry paste
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- ⅛ tsp cayenne powder (optional)
- 3 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 13.5 oz canned coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- Wash and prepare your garlic, onion, carrots, and sweet potatoes and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large soup pot on medium heat.
- Add garlic, onions, salt, and pepper and sauté until onions are translucent, roughly 3-4 minutes.
- Add curry paste and stir until well mixed.
- If using a dryer paste you can add a few splashes of broth to keep mixture from burning.
- Next, add your turmeric, cayenne (if using) and continue sautéing for one more minute.
- Next add your coconut milk and broth and increase heat to high (any small ‘chunks’ of coconut milk will begin to melt into a smooth, golden broth).
- Once broth begins to boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add carrots and sweet potatoes and cover with a lid for 12-14 minutes or until vegetables are tender but not mushy.
- Remove lid and add peanut butter, stir to incorporate well.
- To make your soup extra thick and creamy, scoop out half of the sweet potatoes, remove skins, and blend.
- Add blended potatoes back to your soup pot and stir until well combined.
- Remove soup from heat.
- Add in black beans and additional splashes of milk or broth, as desired, to thin.
- Serve with a sriracha drizzle for heat or crushed peanuts for some added crunch.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.