How to make Stuffed Zucchini Boats.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 4 medium zucchinis, halved
- 500 g ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
For the Sauce:
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 cup shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese
- Chopped cilantro and green onions for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425F degrees.
- Scoop out the center of each zucchini, discarding the seeds and leaving the outer zucchini flesh about 1/4-inch thick, forming little zucchini boats.
- Sprinkle the cut side of each zucchini with a little bit of salt (a pinch for each zucchini half).
- Set aside while preparing the filling.
- In a large, 12-inch nonstick skillet, add half cup of onion and saute till translucent, add chopped garlic and give it a good stir.
- Add the ground beef and cook over medium heat with salt and pepper, breaking the meat into little pieces as it cooks.
- Once cooked all the way through, drain any excess grease, except for 1-2 teaspoons, add worcestershire sauce and chopped jalapeño.
- Mix well and scrape the meat to a plate.
- Return the skillet to a medium heat and add the onion and garlic.
- Cook the mixture until the onion has softened and turned translucent, for about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, chilli powder, cumin, sugar, oregano and coriander.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Lightly grease a 9X13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Ladle in about 1/3 cup of the sauce and spread across the bottom of the pan.
- Stir the cooked meat into the remaining sauce in the skillet.
- Scoop an even amount of the meat and sauce mixture into each zucchini boat, piling it on.
- Cover the baking dish with a layer of lightly greased foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and layer the cheese over the top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes more until the zucchini is fork tender.
- Sprinkle the chopped cilantro and green onions on top and serve with rice.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.