How to make Stuffed Rocoto Peppers.
Ingredients: Makes 10
- 10 rocoto peppers
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons aji panca paste
- 1 lb sirloin tips, finely cut in small squares
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 lbs red onions, diced
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, toasted and ground
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 5 black olives, seeded
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons black raisins
- 3 eggs
- 1 can unsweetened evaporated milk
- Salt and pepper
For the potato gratin:
- 2 lbs waxy potatoes, boiled, peeled and thickly sliced
- 8 oz fresh white cheese in thick slices
- 1 teaspoon aniseed
- 1½ cups unsweetened evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- To tame the heat of the rocotos, cut the top of each one and using a spoon scrape the seeds and ribs from the inside.
- Be very careful, and it´s wise to use gloves to protect your hands, and wash them well when you finish.
- DO NOT touch your eyes!
- Put the rocotos in a pan with water to cover, a tablespoon of sugar, and bring to a boil, turn off the heat, then discard the water.
- Add more fresh water and repeat this operation three times.
- Drain and cool the rocotos, then reserve.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over high heat, warm the oil, add the aji panca paste, beef and bay leaves.
- When cooked, add the onion, ¼ teaspoon sugar, salt and pepper.
- Add the peanuts, oregano, olives, hard-boiled eggs, parsley, raisins, salt and pepper.
- Fill the rocotos with this mixture.
- Accommodate in a rectangular or square pyrex or baking pan.
- In a bowl, beat one egg with one can of evaporated milk, salt and pepper, and pour over the rocotos.
- Beat two eggs until very thick and put a tablespoon over each rocoto.
- Then cover with the reserved tops.
- Bake for 15 minutes in a 350F oven.
- Serve with the potato gratin.
To make the potato gratin:
- To make the potato gratin, butter a baking pan or a pyrex, make one layer of potato slices, cover with fresh cheese slices and a sprinkling of aniseed.
- Repeat three times.
- In a bowl whip the four eggs until very thick, add evaporated milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the potatoes and cheese.
- Bake in a 350F oven until golden and thick.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.