How to make Stuffed Mussels.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
For the Mussels:
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 sprigs Parsley leaves
- 4 sprigs Thyme
- ½ large Lemon- juice
- 1½ cup Water
- 24 Raw mussels in the shell
- 2 oz White wine
For the Filling:
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium White onion (small dice)
- ½ Leek (diced small)
- ½ Green bell pepper (diced small)
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 2 Large eggs-hard-boiled
- 1 tsp Tomato paste
- 1 tsp Sweet spanish paprika
- 2 oz White wine
- 2 sprigs Parsley
For the Bechamel Sauce:
- 4 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Flour (unbleached white)
- ¼ tsp Cracked pepper
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 cup Mussel-stock
For the Garnish:
- Sweet spanish paprika
- Boil the eggs from cold water for approx 8 -10 minutes.
- Refresh in cold running water. peel, chop finely, and set aside for the filling.
- Prepare the mussels by giving the outer shells a rinse of any debris.
- In a medium heat pot with a lid add some sprigs of thyme and parsley.
- Squeeze some fresh lemon juice, add the garlic, 1½ cups of water, a splash of white wine and bring to the boil.
- Place all the mussels in the pot and replace the lid and cook until all the mussels open their shells, for approx 3-5 minutes.
- Discard any shells that did not open.
- Take out the open mussels.
- Save the liquid.
- Remove the mussel meat from the shells and set the shells aside for filling later.
- Take the mussels and dice them.
- In a medium heat pan add the leeks, onions and green bell pepper, a pinch of pimento spice and saute lightly until the vegetables are soft.
- Add eggs, tomatoes paste and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the chopped egg and 3 tbsp of white wine, (the wine will deglaze the pan) cook for 1-2 minutes, add some parsley and fold in the diced mussels.
- Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium pot, add the flour and stir continuously, allowing to cook for 1- 2 minutes before you slowly add the milk to the mussel stock, simmer gently for a further 5- 6 minutes and add a clove of garlic for infusion.
- Fill the mussel shells by pouring a thick layer of cooking salt into the base of your baking dish.
- Take a mussel shell and generously fill with the mussel mixture, arrange the filled shells on top of the salt (to prevent the shells slipping over) and finish with a coating of bechamel sauce, then place in the oven for approximately 10 minutes.
- Garnish with sweet spanish paprika and parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]