How to make Stuffed Fried Sardines.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
- 16 Sardines butterflied, spines removed, heads and tails removed (optional)
- 2 tbsp Raisins, chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 1 spring onion large, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fine dry breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Serrano ham, finely chopped
- ½ tsp Ground fennel
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Flour for dredging
- 2 Eggs large
- 1 tbsp Water
- Extra-virgin olive oil for frying
- In a small bowl, mix the raisins with the lemon juice, scallion, parsley, bread crumbs, chopped ham and ground fennel.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Open a sardine and place a rounded teaspoon of the filling on one side of the fish.
- Close the sardine, pressing the halves together firmly.
- Repeat with the remaining sardines and filling.
- Spread flour in a shallow bowl.
- Place the eggs in another shallow bowl and beat the water into the eggs.
- Dredge the sardines in the flour, then dip them into the egg mixture to thoroughly coat, letting the excess drip off.
- Dredge the sardines again in the flour and shake off any excess.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of olive oil until shimmering.
- Add half of the sardines and fry over moderately high heat until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes per side.
- Drain the sardines briefly on paper towels and transfer to plates.
- Repeat with the remaining sardines.
- Serve and enjoy!
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]