How to make a Sticky Almond Pudding.
This recipe makes a mouthwatering dessert, served with homemade ice-cream, or whipped cream. It is also ideal for afternoon tea, or morning coffee.
Ingredients for 6 servings:
50g/ 2oz of Plain Flour, or multipurpose flour.
225g/ 8oz of Unsalted Butter. Plus extra to grease.
225g/ 8oz of White Sugar (castor sugar).
4 Medium Eggs Beaten.
175g/ 6oz Ground Almonds.
1/2 Teaspoon of Almond Extract.
350g/ 12oz White Marzipan.
Icing Sugar to dust.
Preheat the oven to 180c/ 350f/ Gas 4.
- Grease a 21-23cm/ 8-9 inch cake tin, a spring-release one is perfect.
- Put the butter and sugar into a large bowl, and cream together.
- Gradually beat the eggs into the mixture.
- Add the almond extract and stir.
- Slowly stir in the flour.
- Then gently fold in the ground almonds.
- Next roll out the marzipan, slightly larger than the cake tin.
- Now using the cake tin as a template, cut the marzipan into a circle.
- Spoon half of the cake mixture into the cake tin, and smooth the top with a knife.
- Now top the cake mixture with the marzipan circle.
- Then cover the marzipan circle with the remaining cake mixture.
- Place the cake into the oven on a middle shelf.
- Cook for 60-70 minutes, until the cake is firm to touch.
- Check the cake is cooked by inserting a skewer, if it comes out clean the cake is cooked.
- Remove the cake and leave to cool for 5 minutes in the cake tin.
- After 5 minutes remove and place on a plate to cool fully.
Note: this cake must be prepare the day before serving. This gives time for the cake to settle and become sticky.