How to make a Spotted Dick.
Ingredients: Serves 6
- 225g self-raising flour
- 60g caster sugar
- 115g suet (or butter)
- 140g raisins or currants
- 150ml milk
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- butter for greasing
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, suet/butter, dried fruit and lemon rind.
- Add the milk and stir together until a soft dough forms – it should be a soft dropping consistency.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased pudding basin or bowl and level the top so that it is flat.
- If you don’t have a suitable bowl you can roll it into a cylinder (on a floured surface).
- Cover the bowl, or cylinder, in greaseproof paper, followed by foil over the top.
- If you are covering a cylinder allow enough space for the pudding to raise within the paper.
- If you are steaming the spotted dick, place a trivet, or an upturned saucer in the bottom of a large saucepan.
- Place the pudding bowl on top.
- Pour boiling water in the saucepan so that it comes about half way up the sides of the bowl.
- Place the lid on the saucepan and cook for around 90 minutes – check back often to make sure the water doesn’t boil dry.
- The pudding is ready when it gently springs back when pressed.
- Remove the pudding from the bowl and serve with warm custard or ice cream.