How to make a Spicy Vegetable Gumbo.
Ingredients: Serves 6-8
- 4 slices smoked bacon, diced (optional)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 small sticks celery, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock, heated
- 1 ½ cups canned tomato puree
- 2 cups frozen okra, thawed and diced
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups water
- Pinch of cayenne
- ½ cup white long grain rice
- 1 ½ cups canned black eyed peas
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, over medium-high heat, fry the diced bacon until light golden-brown, and a good amount of bacon fat has rendered.
- Remove and set aside.
- To the same pot, add the vegetable oil and begin to sauté the sweet potatoes, celery, red pepper, garlic, jalapeño, and onion, stirring from time to time, cooking for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Next, add the bay leaf and flour, and cook for an additional 6 to 8 minutes, until the flour starts to turn a light sandy-brown.
- Add a little hot vegetable stock, the diced tomato, okra, and Worcestershire sauce, and continue to simmer gently while stirring.
- Next, add the remainder of the stock and water, cayenne pepper, salt, ground pepper, and lastly, the rice.
- Cook for 35 to 40 minutes on a gentle simmer.
- Add back the fried bacon and continue to cook for an additional 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add the black eyed peas and chopped parsley, and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Simmer gently for an additional 20 minutes, and serve.
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]