How to make a Spicy Fish Stew.
Ingredients: Serves 4-6
- 3 large potatoes, cut into ½-inch dice
- 2 pounds boneless cod, halibut, or other mild white fish, cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 whole dried pasilla chillies
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat a small skillet over high heat.
- When it is hot, place the chillies in the pan and toast, turning often, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until softened and slightly charred.
- Let them cool down.
- Discard the chilli stems and the seeds.
- Transfer the chillies to a bowl.
- Pour in the boiling water and steep the chillies for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the chillies and their liquid to a blender, and blend until smooth.
- In a large, flameproof casserole over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil.
- Add the garlic, onion and celery.
- Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the cumin, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the pureed chillies, tomatoes, stock and potatoes.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, lower the heat and cover the pan.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Add the fish and a sprinkle of salt.
- Press the fish down into the liquid and cover the pan.
- Continue cooking for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the fish is just cooked through.
- Taste the broth for seasoning and add more salt and black pepper, if you like.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cilantro.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.