How to make a Spiced Moroccan Lentil Soup.
Ingredients: Serves 6
- 1 cup green lentils, uncooked
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 medium carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 1 cup sliced carrots)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cauliflower head, cut into small florets
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 small dried Thai chilli pepper (or 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, to taste)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot and add the chopped onion.
- Saute for 3 minutes or until the onion starts to turn translucent.
- Add the spices – cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the carrots, vegetable broth, water, salt, and lentils.
- Bring to a boil, and then cover and let simmer for 35 minutes.
- Check on the soup after 20 minutes to make sure there is enough liquid in there.
- If it seems too dry, add some water, a half a cup at a time.
- After 30 minutes, when the lentils are fully cooked and are just starting to fall apart, add the can of diced tomatoes and the cauliflower florets.
- Cover and cook for another 5-10 minutes, until the cauliflower is fully cooked to your liking.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice and cilantro leaves.
- Taste the soup and season with more salt if you think it needs more.
- Serve and enjoy!
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]