How to make a Spanish Style Squid Stew.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 600g squid, cleaned and cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 200g chorizo, sliced thickly
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, skinned, quartered and de-seeded
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 bay leaves, torn
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200ml Fino or Amontillado sherry
- 1 tsp saffron threads
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Crusty bread and salad/greens, to serve
- Put the squid in a casserole dish with the onion wedges, garlic cloves, tomato, chickpeas, bay leaves, paprika, oil, sherry and 300ml water.
- Bring to the boil over a high heat, then cover and reduce the heat as low as it will go and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Take out the garlic cloves and set aside.
- Add more water if the sauce is getting too thick.
- Stir in the chorizo and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the saffron threads in a small, dry frying pan over a medium heat, until they darken.
- Put them in a mortar with the peppercorns and grind to a powder with the pestle.
- Squeeze the cooked garlic cloves into the mortar and add 1 tbsp of the cooking juice.
- Pound to a paste and stir this into the casserole.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the herbs and then serve hot with the crusty bread, accompanied by salad or greens.
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]