How to make a Spanish Mushroom Rice.
Ingredients: Serves 4-6
For the Sofrito:
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1 Poblano pepper, minced
- 15 oz can tomato puree
- 1/4 cup olive oil
For the Rice:
- 1 1/2 cups bomba or risotto rice
- 1 oz dried mushrooms
- 12 oz fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 lb shredded white meat (chicken, rabbit, partridge, etc.)
- 3 oz bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup sofrito
- 1 quart chicken or game stock
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
To Make the Sofrito:
- Heat the olive oil in a small pan over medium high heat.
- Sauté the onions and pepper until soft, stirring often.
- When they are soft, add the tomato puree and cook another 10 minutes on low heat.
- Add salt to taste.
- Ideally, you would wait for this to cool completely before pureeing it in a blender, but you can blend it right away; waiting will give you a darker and redder colour.
To Make the Rice:
- Start by putting the dried mushrooms in a small bowl.
- Pour the boiling water over the dried mushrooms and cover the bowl while you do the rest of the preparation.
- Remove the dried mushrooms from the water and chop.
- Strain any debris out of the soaking water and reserve the water.
- In a wide, shallow pan heat the bacon and olive oil over medium heat.
- Chop up the mushrooms, separating the stems from the caps.
- Once the bacon starts sizzling, add the stems to the pan, and cook, stirring occasionally, until both the stems and the bacon are crispy.
- Add the caps and garlic and continue to cook a few minutes, then add the shredded meat, chopped rehydrated mushrooms, smoked paprika, rice and sage.
- Mix well and cook for a minute or two.
- Pour in the sofrito, the mushroom soaking water and 1 cup of stock, plus a pinch of salt.
- Mix well and let this cook over medium heat undisturbed until you hear it begin to sizzle a bit.
- Pour 1 cup of the stock around the edges of the pan and let this boil until you hear the sizzle again.
- Do this 2 more times if need be.
- After the 3rd cup of stock is almost gone, taste the rice to see if it’s done.
- You might not need the 4th cup, or you might even need a 5th cup, in which case you can use water.
- Once the rice is done, grind black pepper over everything and sprinkle the herbs on top.
- Serve and enjoy!
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]