How to make Spanish Fritters.
If you are planning a tapas night or party this is a must do recipe. It contains amazing flavours that will conjure up the spirit of Spain in your home!
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 600g/ 21oz of Canned Sweetcorn, drained
- 150g/ 5oz self raising flour
- 3 large Eggs
- 100ml/ 3.5floz Milk
- 4 tbsp Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 2 Limes
- 2 Small Ripe Avocados, or 1 Large One.
- 1/2 Red Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Ripe Tomatoes, chopped
- 150g/ 5oz Greek Style Natural Yogurt.
- 2 Tablespoons of Chopped Fresh Chives.
- Olive Oil.
- Salt and Pepper.
- Rocket Leaves for serving.
Preheat the oven to it’s lowest setting.
- Pour the flour into a bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour.
- Crack the eggs into the well.
- Whisk the flour and eggs together to make a batter.
- Add the milk and whisk again until the batter is smooth.
- Stir in the sweetcorn with 1 tablespoon of the sweet chilli sauce.
- Set aside for later.
- Now make the salsas
- For the avocado salsa,
- Halve, stone and peel the avocados.
- Cut into chunks and put in a small bowl.
- Next squeeze over the juice of 1 lime.
- Then stir in the remaining chilli sauce, and tomatoes.
- For the yogurt salsa,
- Mix the greek natural yogurt with the chives into a small bowl.
- Now fry the fritters,
- Wipe a little oil (using kitchen paper) over the base of a non-stick frying pan.
- Heat over a low heat.
- To make the fritters, spoon a heaped tablespoon of the batter mixture into the frying pan. Don’t put too many fritters into the frying pan, keep them well apart.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden and puffed.
- After cooking, place them on an oven proof dish and keep warm in oven while you cook the rest.
- Divide the corn fritters between the plates.
- Serve with a big spoonful of the avocado salsa, a dollop of yogurt dip, a handful of rocket leaves and some lime wedges to squeeze over the fritters.