How to make Spaghetti With Clams.
Ingredients: Serves 4
300g/ 100oz of Spagetti, broken in half.
1 Kg/ 2.2lbs of Clams. Fresh or frozen.
1 Onion, finely chopped.
120ml/ 4floz of Dry White Wine.
750ml/ 1.25 pints of Fish Stock.
Juice of half a Lemon.
1 Fennel Bulb. Cut into very thin strips.
2 Large Ripe Tomatoes.
2 Garlic Cloves, crushed.
120ml/ 4floz Anis Spirit (optional).
2 Tablespoons of Fresh Parsley.
Salt and Pepper.
- If using fresh clams, place in a colander and rinse under cold running water for a couple of minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Fry the chopped onion until soft, then add the garlic.
- De-skin the tomatoes by placing in boiling water and leaving to stand for 10 minutes. Then the skin will peel off easily. Cut the tomatoes into small pieces, discarding the seeds.
- Add the tomatoes to the onions .
- Cook the tomatoes until soft and mushy.
- Then add 250ml/ 8floz of the fish stock to the saucepan.
- Pour the wine, anis spirit, lemon juice and remaining fish stock to the saucepan.
- Add the pasta and fennel.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes until the pasta is nearly cooked.
- Pour the clams into the saucepan gently, cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir well and add 1 tablespoon of the fresh chopped parsley.
- Turn off the heat, cover and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes divide in individual bowls, and sprinkle with the remaining parsley.