How to make Spaghetti Meat Sauce.
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups of chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 1 (6 ounce) can of tomato paste
- 8 cups of peeled and chopped tomatoes, juices retained
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
- 1-1/2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of beef stock or broth
- 3 (8 ounce) cans of tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons of dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onion and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the tomato paste and cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes, or if using canned, cut the tomatoes up in the can with kitchen shears, then add them with their juices and bring to a boil; reduce to medium, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Puree with an immersion blender if desired, or can leave chunky.
Cook ground beef in a separate skillet, drain off fat and add to sauce along with the Italian seasoning, basil, bay leaves, salt, pepper and sugar. Stir in the beef stock and tomato sauce, bring to a boil, reduce and simmer over medium low, covered, for 2 hours or longer. Taste, stir in parsley and Cajun seasoning, if using, and adjust seasonings as needed.