How to make Slow Braised Beef Short Ribs.
Ingredients: Serves 6
- 2 kg/4 lbs beef short ribs
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 3 carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 pieces fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup tomato puree/passata
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 cups red wine
- 500 g/1 lb mushrooms
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 160ºC/320ºF.
- Season the short ribs generously.
- In a large, oven-proof lidded pot, heat a splash of olive oil then sear the beef ribs until well-browned on all sides.
- Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onions, carrots and celery and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and herbs then cook for another 30 seconds before adding the flour.
- Stir to coat the vegetables in the flour then add the wine and stock.
- Allow to come to a simmer then add the tomatoes and beef short ribs back to the pot.
- Season well then cover and place in the oven.
- Allow to braise for 2-3 hours or until the ribs are soft.
- Add the mushrooms and braise for another 20 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning according to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!