How to make Scandinavian Meatballs in a Creamy Sauce.
INGREDIENTS: Makes between 55-80 depending on how big you roll them
For the Meatballs:
- 500g Beef Mince
- 500g Pork Mince
- 1 Onion, diced very fine
- Breadcrumbs from 2 slices of bread (toasted lightly till dry then rolled in your hands)
- 250ml Sour Cream
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 3 crushed Cloves (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Ground Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
For the Sauce: Makes enough for 2-3 people (scale it to the number of people eating)
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 400ml Beef Stock (half a stock cube dissolved in 400ml water)
- Salt and Pepper
- Fry the Onion on a low heat with a little Butter for 2-5 minutes, till soft and translucent and then it let cool down.
- While the Onions cool, put the Bread Crumbs into a bowl and mix in the Sour Cream, it will make a really stiff paste.
- With your hands mix the Egg, Bread Crumb paste, Onion, Seasonings and Meat very thoroughly, the softer it becomes the better the final texture.
- Shape the mixture into Walnut sized balls.
- Heat the oven to gas mark 8 (450F, 230C), unless doing method two (see below) and space the Meatballs out on a baking tray.
- Cook for 15-25 minutes (depending on size) till golden and just going crispy on the outside.
Two Options here:
- About 10 minutes before the Meatballs are done, warm a heavy bottomed saucepan and melt the Butter, mix in the Flour and then pour in a very small amount of Beef Stock.
- Whisk and add small batches of stock till the consistency is quite runny with no lumps, add the rest of the stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce until thick and season with Salt and Pepper constantly tasting to get just the right flavour.
- Put a little Butter in the pan and turn the heat on high, seal the meatballs and make the outsides crispy then remove before fully cooked through. make the sauce the same as above, but then cook the Meatballs in the sauce until it is reduced and thick.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or boiled new potatoes.