How to make Salmon Marmitako.
Marmitako is a fisherman’s stew that is usually made with potatoes, vegetables and tuna. But this fish can be replaced by others, as in this recipe, in which we are going to use fresh salmon. It´s a most traditional Basque dish that is made quickly and easily.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 500g of fresh salmon fillet
- 500g potatoes
- 300 ml of fish broth
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 70g of crushed tomatoes
- 50g extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- Cut the salmon fillet into small cubes.
- Cut the red bell pepper, onion and garlic into very small pieces.
- Heat a pot with olive oil and when hot add the chopped pepper, onion and garlic and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes over low heat until everything is well cooked.
- While cooking, peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes.
- Add the salt, sweet paprika and potatoes to the pot, along with the fish broth and let it cook at the same temperature for 20 more minutes.
- Make sure that the potatoes are soft and mash 2 or 3 a little with a fork so that it helps the sauce to thicken.
- Add the diced salmon and let everything cook for exactly 4 minutes so as not to overcook it.
- Turn off the heat, adjust the salt and add the chopped parsley.
- Serve with fresh crusty bread and enjoy!