How to make a Russian Salad.
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 2 King Edward potatoes, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut lengthways
- 4 tbsp of frozen peas
- 1 whole red pepper, cut in half lengthways, seeds and core removed
- 3 large eggs
- 20 pitted manzanilla olives, cut in halves
- 1 tbsp baby capers
- 200g bonito tuna or white tuna in olive oil, drained
- 8 tbsp of mayonnaise
- ½ tbsp flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Pre-heat your oven grill for 5 minutes. Place the two peppers halves, skin side up on a tray, drizzle with one tablespoon of the olive oil and place under the grill, until the skins are completely black all round. Remove from the grill, cover with a kitchen cloth or aluminium foil and allow the cooked peppers to rest and steam for 10 minutes. After this time, you will be able to peel them very easily. Cut the peppers into long strips and save for the garnish.
- Place the potatoes and carrots in a large sauce pan, cover with cold water, add a pinch of salt and bring the water to the boil. Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. After this time, add the eggs and cook for a further 5 minutes, add the peas and cook for a further 5 minutes too. Drain and cool down under cold running water.
- Once cold, peel the hard-boiled eggs, keeping 2 eggs yolks on the side for the garnish and chop the rest into small pieces. Chop the potatoes and carrots into small cubes..
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked peas, potatoes, carrots, with the chopped hard-boiled eggs, manzanilla olives, baby capers and tuna. Season well with salt, add the mayonnaise and chopped parsley and mix well.
- I like to serve my Russian salad individually, by filling a small ring mould with the salad mix, top with some mayonnaise and finely grated hard-boiled egg yolk and garnish with some strips of roasted red pepper and an olive. Remove the ring mould, drizzle round some good quality extra virgin olive oil and serve with some picos de pan bread sticks.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.