How to make a Russian Dried Mushroom Soup.
Ingredients: Serves 6-8
- 2 cups dried mushrooms (Porcini and Oyster mushrooms)
- 5 cups vegetable broth (you can use chicken or beef broth too)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- ¼ cup pearl barley
- 1 cup peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1 cup peeled and cubed carrots
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ cup finely hopped onions
- 5 cups water
- Wash the mushrooms under running water and soak them in 5 cups of water for 1 hour.
- Drain the mushrooms and chop them into small pieces.
- Reserve the water in which you soaked them.
- Transfer the chopped mushroom to a large pot along with the reserved water.
- Add the broth, salt & pepper, and pearl barley to the pot and bring the soup to a boil over high heat.
- Cover the pot with a lid and cook the soup on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and cook covered for another 30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and set it aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add garlic and onions and fry until they turn slightly brown.
- Pour the onions over the soup and serve hot.