How to make a Reddened Beef Stew.
Ingredients: Serves 6
- 2 1/2 lbs beef stewing meat, cut into 10-12 pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 fresh tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 12 whole shallots, tails cut off
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 8 cups water
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- Fresh, chopped parsley (optional)
- Pour the olive oil into a large frying pan and set the heat to medium-high.
- Brown each piece of beef on both sides and then place it in a stew pot.
- You may need to brown the beef in batches depending on the size of your pan.
- Add the onions to the frying pan and lower the heat to medium.
- Saute the onions until they’re soft.
- This should take about five minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and add the wine.
- Scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen some of the brown bits (these are filled with flavour).
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook until the paste is dissolved.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and lower the heat to medium-low.
- Cook for about six minutes, or until the tomatoes begin to soften.
- Transfer the tomato mixture to the stew pot and pour in the water.
- Stir the mixture well.
- Add the cloves and bay leaf and stir.
- Cover the pot and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- Once the stew boils, set it to low to simmer.
- Add the whole shallots.
- Let it simmer for about an hour.
- You’ll know it’s cooked because the meat will be tender and cooked all the way through.
- Garnish with fresh, chopped parsley just before serving.
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]