How to make Red Wine BBQ Sauce.
- 2 cans tomato paste, 5.5 ounces each
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup full-bodied red wine
- 1/4 cup dark molasses (blackstrap or cooking molasses)
- 1 tablespoon smoked mild paprika
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- Mix all ingredients together in a large saucepan. Set over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until thickened to your liking.
- After about 10 minutes of simmering, taste the sauce and if you think it needs more kick, add a bit more cayenne pepper. Then continue simmering for the remaining 5 minutes.
- Let cool, and pour into a bottle or jar with a tight-fitting lid. I like to keep some in a squeeze bottle for ease of use. (An empty honey or syrup bottle works well.)
- This sauce will keep for months in the refrigerator and it also freezes well.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.