How to make a Red Lentil and Spinach Soup.
Ingredients: Serves 4-6
- 2 ½ cups red split lentils
- 10 cups water
- 2 carrots, grated,
- 1 sweet potato, grated
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sweet onions
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups spinach leaves, chopped
- ½ cup dill, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Tiny sprinkle of cayenne pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Garnish: fresh dill or cilantro, chopped
- Wash the lentils in a sieve with plenty of cold water.
- Place in a large pot with the water, bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook for about 25-30 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Using a slotted spoon remove about half the lentils from the pot and set aside.
- Add the grated carrots and grated sweet potatoes to the lentil and water pot, and continue to simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the miso paste to the pot, and with an immersion blender process until smooth.
- In another large pot, on medium-high heat, sauté the onions in olive oil until soft and golden.
- Add the garlic and sauté for one more minute.
- Add the spinach, dill, cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper, and sauté until the spinach wilts.
- Add to the onion pot the lentils, carrot and sweet potato puree and the boiled, unprocessed lentils you set aside, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Taste and correct seasoning.
- Garnish with a spinkle of herbs and serve with a nice loaf of fresh crusty bread.
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]