How to make Prawn Balchao.
Ingredients: Serves 6-8
- 1 kg Prawns, de-veined
- 2 Onions, finely chopped
- 2 Tomatoes, ripe
- 2 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons Ginger Garlic Paste
- 15 Dry Red Chillies
- 2 teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 6 Cloves
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2 Vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, as required
- In a large bowl, clean the prawns under running water and strain them out.
- Add a pinch of salt and turmeric powder, mix well and set aside.
- In a wok, dry roast the chillies, pepper, cumin, mustard, cloves and cinnamon.
- Grind the roasted mix of spices along with ginger, garlic and the vinegar into a smooth paste.
- In another wok heat some oil, add the chopped onions and cook until golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and curry leaves, cook until all the water evaporates and the mixture turns all mushy leaving oil at the sides.
- Add the spice mixture and cook until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the prawns along with the sugar, check for spice levels and adjust accordingly.
- Cook until the water left by the prawns evaporates and the mixture turns into a thick gravy like consistency.
- Serve with any roti or simple rice of your choice and enjoy!