How to make Portuguese Tomato Rice.
This recipe is a favourite all over Portugal but it is best prepared in the Province of Alentejo in the South-Central part of Portugal, where plump and juicy tomatoes grow red, ripe and full of flavour thanks to favourable growing conditions.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes cored and cut into large one inch chunks (save any juice from cutting)
- 1½ cups vegetable or chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium pot with a tight-fitting lid, melt bacon fat in the oil over medium high.
- Add onions and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with their juice, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add stock, bring to a boil and add rice, salt and pepper.
- Cover and after it comes to a boil, lower to a gentle simmer and cook 20 minutes covered.
- Remove from heat and fluff with fork before serving.