How to make Portuguese Rice Pudding.
Ingredients: Serves 4-6
- 1 cup medium grain white rice
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- Lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Ground cinnamon
- Put 2 cups of water into a pot.
- Add a pinch of salt, the lemon rind and the butter.
- Let it boil for a minute or two.
- Then add the rice and put the heat on low.
- Let the rice cook on a low heat with or without the lid on.
- On a separate heat), take 2 cups of milk and heat them.
- Do not let them boil but make sure they’re very hot.
- Once the water has nearly boiled off, add the milk to the pot and turn up the heat.
- When it starts to boil, lower the heat again and wait for the rice to soak up the milk.
- While the milk and rice are cooking (making sure to stir once in a while so it doesn’t stick to the bottom) measure out your sugar.
- In a separate small bowl, separate the eggs.
- Add a dash of milk to the yolk and stir.
- Once the rice is super creamy and mushy, stir in the sugar.
- If your rice isn’t getting creamy, add a little more milk to it and let it cook longer.
- Take a spoonful of the rice mixture and add it to the egg yolk.
- Stir well.
- The idea is to not cook the yolk but to heat it gently.
- Then turn off the heat for the rice.
- Add the yolk/rice mixture to the big pot and stir so it’s all the same colour.
- Once you have a light yellow colour, turn the heat back on, let it reach boiling temperature and you’re done with the cooking.
- Take out the lemon peel, and pour into either individual bowls or one big bowl/shallow tray.
- Decorate with ground cinnamon.
- Serve warm, or if you prefer, keep it in the fridge for a few days.
- You can always quickly re-heat it in the microwave at any time.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.