How to make Portuguese Meatballs.
Ingredients: Serves 4-6
- 2 pounds ground beef (85% lean)
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 can (15 ounces) Northern white beans, drained
- 1 quart good quality salsa
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 cup water
- Cilantro, lemon slices, and olive oil to garnish
- Combine bread crumbs and milk in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss with a fork until all milk is absorbed.
- Add ground beef, garlic, lemon, salt, chilli powder and eggs to the moistened bread crumbs.
- Wearing kitchen gloves, use your hands to thoroughly combine all ingredients.
- Shape beef mixture into fairly large meatballs, about 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Place on shallow baking pans about 1 inch apart.
- Bake in a pre-heated 375F degree oven for 30 minutes.
- While meatballs bake, combine salsa, water and potato chunks in a large pot.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are fork tender.
- Make sure that potatoes stay submerged in the liquid.
- Add water (1/2 cup at a time) if necessary.
- Once potatoes are fork tender, remove pot from heat.
- Add meatballs and beans to the pot.
- Stir gently.
- Ladle mixture into serving bowls.
- Garnish bowls with a drizzle of olive oil (about a teaspoon), a sprinkle of chopped fresh cilantro, and a few thin lemon slices.
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]