How to make Octopus in Red Wine.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 1½ kg small baby octopus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small-medium brown onion, chopped very finely
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- ¾ dry red wine
- 2 ripe tomatoes, skinned and grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon black cracked pepper
- Clean octopus, being sure to remove the beak, and wash afterwards.
- Cut heads in half and tentacles into sets of four or two depending on size.
- Put octopus in a large pan and cook on high heat in own juices until dry for about 15 mins.
- Add olive oil and chopped onion and toss until well coated.
- Add vinegar, wine, tomato, bay leaf, oregano, water and cracked pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1½ – 2 hours or until octopus is tender.
- Check every 20 minutes to ensure the sauce is not drying.
- If needed, add a little more red wine or water to moisten.
- The end product should be a tender octopus with a dry sauce that coats the octopus.
- Serve over rice if you like or on it´s own with some fresh crusty bread and enjoy!