How to make a Mulligatawny Soup.
Ingredients: Serves 4-6
- 1 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of visible fat
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Soup:
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cups (480ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (237ml) water
- 1 can coconut milk
- ⅓ cup uncooked basmati rice
- 2 apples, cored, peeled and chopped
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- juice from lime
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- chopped parsley or cilantro for garnish
- Pat dry the chicken thighs with a paper towel.
- Take out the excess fat from chicken.
- Slice chicken into strips.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cumin, garlic and curry powder.
- Thoroughly mix and set aside until ready to use.
- Place a 12 inch non-stick cast iron or skillet over medium-high heat and add oil.
- When oil sizzles, add the chicken to the pan in a single layer and brown both sides for about 3-4 minutes per side.
- You can do this in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Add butter or oil, as soon as butter melts add onions, bay leaves, garlic, curry and cumin spice.
- Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the celery and carrots and continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in the chicken stock or water and cook for about 1 minute.
- Return the chicken back to the pot together with the coconut milk, rice and apples.
- Bring the pot of soup to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Partially cover the pot and cook for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Season with cayenne pepper.
- Then add the lime juice.
- Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with parsley or cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy!
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]