How to make a Moroccan Vegetable Tagine.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4-6
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, more for later
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 8-10 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp Harissa spice blend
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 cups canned whole peeled tomatoes
- ½ cup heaping chopped dried apricot
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 lemon, juice
- Handful fresh parsley leaves
- In a large heavy pot or Dutch Oven, heat olive oil over medium heat until just shimmering.
- Add onions and increase heat to medium-high.
- Saute for 5 minutes, tossing regularly.
- Add garlic and all the chopped vegetables.
- Season with salt and spices.
- Toss to combine.
- Cook for 5 to 7 minutes on medium-high heat, mixing regularly with a wooden spoon.
- Add tomatoes, apricot and broth.
- Season again with just a small dash of salt.
- Keep the heat on medium-high, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Then reduce heat, cover and simmer for another 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in chickpeas and cook another 5 minutes on low heat.
- Stir in lemon juice and fresh parsley.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more salt or harissa spice blend to your liking.
- Transfer to serving bowls and top each with a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve hot with your favorite bread, couscous, or rice.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.