How to make Meatballs in Chipotle Sauce.
Ingredients: Serves 8
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons white onion chopped
- 12 tablespoons chipotle chillies in adobo sauce
- 1 chipotle chilli in adobo sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 to 3 fresh cilantro sprigs or to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground meat with the eggs, minced garlic, breadcrumbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Mix thoroughly with your hands or a spatula.
- Place tomatoes in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Simmer over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until cooked through and mushy.
- In a blender, add the cooked tomatoes along with 1/4 cup of their cooking liquid, 2 garlic cloves, white onion, the sauce from the chipotle chillies in adobo and, if desired, one whole seeded chipotle chilli.
- Purée until smooth.
- Pour the oil into a large soup pot and place over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, pour in the puréed tomato mix.
- Let it simmer, with the lid ajar, anywhere from 6 to 8 minutes, or until it has changed its colour to a deeper red, thickened in consistency and lost its raw flavour.
- Add the chicken broth and salt to taste and reduce heat to medium low.
- Place a small mixing bowl with water to the side of the soup pot with the simmering tomato broth.
- Wet your hands and start to make the meatballs, one by one.
- They should be anywhere from 1 to 2″.
- Once you have shaped all the meatballs, gently place them in the simmering tomato broth.
- Add the cilantro sprigs to the pot, then simmer over medium-low heat for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice and enjoy!
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.