How to make a Meatball Sub Sandwich.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 1 ¼ pounds ground meat, preferably a combination of beef, pork and veal
- 4 cups Marinara sauce, homemade or jarred
- 1 loaf Italian bread sliced lengthwise and cut into 4 inch pieces
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon finely minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher or coarse salt plus more for cooking the pasta
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 slice plain bread
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Tear the bread into pieces and place them in a small bowl, pour the milk over, stir to combine and let it sit for 5 minutes until the bread has absorbed most of the milk.
- Squeeze out the excess milk and shred the bread into little pieces.
- Place the meat in a large bowl.
- Add the soaked bread, egg, ¼ cup Parmesan, parsley, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper to the meat.
- Use your hands to blend it well, but try not to squeeze the mixture too much as you blend it.
- Make nice round meatballs about 2-inches in size.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a baking sheet with sides with nonstick cooking spray or lightly oil it.
- Place the meatballs on the tray, without touching each other, and bake until almost cooked throughout, for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring the marinara sauce to a simmer in a medium sized pot over medium-low heat.
- Add the partially cooked meatballs to the sauce and simmer until they are fully cooked, for about 10 more minutes.
- Whilst the meatballs are cooking, prepare the rolls.
- You can leave them soft, or toast them by placing them opened up and cut side down in a hot skillet with a touch of olive oil for a couple of minutes until the interior is golden brown.
- When the meatballs are removed from the oven and added to the sauce, turn the oven to broil.
- Transfer the meatballs with their sauce to a shallow baking dish so that the meatballs are in a single layer.
- Sprinkle the top with the mozzarella and the remaining ¼ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Return to the oven and broil for 1 to 2 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Use a spoon to transfer two meatballs with some sauce and cheese to each roll.
- Serve and enjoy!
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]