Recipe submitted by: Pepe Obaya
• 1 pound each ground beef and sweet Italian sausage
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup bread crumbs
• 4 Sweet onions medium sized
• 1 finally chopped Habanero
• 2 Teaspoons each salt, pepper, granulated onion, granulated garlic and all seasoning
• 1 package thick pepper bacon
• Mango Habanero Cheese cut into 12 each ¾” Cubes
• 1 Cup of your Favorite mango Habanero BBQ sauce
• Scallions or chives for garnish
1. Mix meat, eggs, crumbs, all seasoning.
2. Cut top and bottom off onion, cut vertically halfway to the core and peel off skin. Then separate the onion into layers. Use the larger outside layers.
3. Take a small handful of your meat mixture, put cheese cube in the middle and put it inside one onion layer.
4. Continue with the rest. I made 12 but amounts can vary based on onion sizes.
5. Wrap each “bomb” with 2 slices bacon and secure with toothpicks.
6. I smoked mine on a Traeger at 160 degrees until the internal temp reached 115 Degrees F (About 30 – 45 minutes) If you don’t have a smoker skip this step.
7. Transfer to charcoal or gas grill and grill until internal temperature reaches 135
8. Base liberal amounts of the Mango Habanero sauce, rotate & repeat until all sides are sticky & carnalized and internal temp reaches 145
9. Brush with sauce and plate
You can also follow Pepe Obaya on Instagram by clicking here.