How to make a Malt Rabbit Stew.
Rabbit meat is commonly used throughout Spain. It’s tasty, low in cholesterol and contains hardly any fat. But if you’re not yet ready to introduce rabbit to your diet, you can use lamb or beef instead for this recipe.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 1 kg rabbit meat, cleaned and cut into chunks
- 1 bottle (330 ml) premium malt beer
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup diced carrot
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp canned tomato,crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat up a heavy bottom pot.
- Season rabbit meat with salt and pepper.
- Add olive oil in the pan and sear the rabbit chunks.
- Remove and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the onion, carrot, celery and brown for about 5 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms, canned tomato, beer and chicken stock.
- Return the rabbit to the pot.
- Bring contents to a boil.
- Then lower the heat to a simmer.
- Toss in fresh thyme and a bay leaf.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for about 40 minutes or until rabbit is soft.
- Adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Serve with rice and fresh crusty bread for dipping in the delicious sauce!