How to make Macanese Chicken.
Ingredients: Serves 2
- 500g chicken thighs
- 100g chorizo, sliced
- 1 large potato, chopped into 4-5cm chunks, skin on
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp cayenne
- 200ml coconut milk
- 200ml fresh milk
- 1 tbsp cornflour, mixed with 1 tbsp water
- 2 bay leaves
- Olive oil
- Bring some water to the boil and cook the potato so that it still retains some bite.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat some oil in an oven-proof pot and brown the chicken, making sure the skin crisps up, then set aside.
- Retain the oil in the pot and add the onion and chorizo.
- Once the onion has softened a little and the chorizo has released some of its oil, add the garlic, turmeric and cayenne.
- Stir to cook for a couple more minutes.
- Add the potatoes, tomatoes, coconut milk, milk, cornflour mixed with water and bayleaves, then season.
- Place the chicken on top keeping as much of the skin as possible above the surface of the liquid, then put in the oven to bake uncovered for 45 minutes at 180C.
- Take out and serve with fresh crusty bread to soak up the sauce.