How to make a Loaded Irish Colcannon.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4-6
- 4 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 oz Irish white cheddar, shredded
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium leek, chopped, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup quality unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, warmed
- 1/2 cup whole milk, warmed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Fry the bacon in a large pan until crispy, then use a slotted spoon to transfer it to a plate until ready to use.
- Leave about 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the pan.
- Add the chopped greens to the pan and saute them in the bacon grease until soft, for about 7-8 minutes.
- While the greens are cooking, start the potatoes boiling.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until soft.
- Thoroughly drain all water from the potatoes.
- While the potatoes are still piping hot, add 2/3 of the butter, warm milk and cream.
- Mash the potatoes.
- Add the cooked greens, bacon, green onions and white cheddar (reserving a little bacon and green onions for garnish).
- Stir to combine.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Taste and add more salt according to preference.
- Spoon into a serving bowl, make a small well in the center and add the remaining 1/3 butter in the well.
- Garnish with the reserved bacon and green onions.
- Serve and enjoy!
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]