How to make a Liver and Onions Special.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
- 2 lbs sliced beef liver
- 4 slices bacon chopped into 1/2” pieces
- 2 large sweet onions, halved and sliced
- 7 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 4 dried figs, chopped
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1½ Cup of milk, or more, enough to cover
- 2 Cup of flour to coat liver
- 1/4 Cup water
- Using a shallow pan or container, cover and soak beef liver in milk for 3-4 hours in the refrigerator before cooking.
- In a heavy skillet (cast iron preferred) set over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crispy.
- While the bacon is cooking, rinse beef liver slices under running water then pat them dry.
- In a shallow dish, combine the flour, salt and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Dredge the liver through the flour mixture and shake off well to remove excess.
- Put on a plate to the side until bacon is finished cooking.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Pour bacon fat into a bowl leaving 2 Tbsp in the skillet.
- Turn the heat to high.
- When the pan is very hot, sear liver slices about 45 seconds per side, or until golden brown on each side with a crispy texture.
- Remove the liver and set on a plate, covered loosely with foil.
- Return pan to medium-high heat, then add about half the remaining bacon fat and sliced onions.
- Caramelize the onions for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When golden, add remaining bacon fat along with the sliced mushrooms.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the mushrooms become soft and slightly coloured.
- Add, bacon, figs, salt, pepper, vinegar & water.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, until liquid has evaporated.
- Add back the liver and cover with the onions and mushrooms, cooking until it reaches an internal temp of 140-145 degrees F.
- Stir in fresh sage, move to a serving dish and let it sit for a few minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chopped fresh sage.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.