How to make a Liberian Chicken, Fish and Shrimp Stew.
Ingredients: Serves 6
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 3 lbs chicken, cut into small pieces
- 2 lbs fried fish steaks, any firm fish
- 1 lb large shrimp, cleaned and de-veined
- 3 large red bell peppers
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 fresh tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon ginger, chopped
- 2 scotch bonnet or habanero peppers
- ¼ cup basil and parsley
- 1 Tablespoon chicken bouillon, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Boil the chicken with salt, pepper, paprika, chicken bouillon and some chopped onions in a medium pot until tender.
- Reserve the stock for later use.
- In a food processor or blender, blend tomatoes, bell pepper, onions, garlic and herbs.
- Add ½ cup oil to heavy-duty pot/pan, and then add the bell pepper blend followed by the tomato paste.
- Sauté for about 10-15 minutes, to blend all the flavours and to reduce the acidity of the tomato sauce.
- Stir the pot frequently as the sauce simmers.
- You may add reserved chicken stock or water too.
- Next add chicken, fried fish with about 2 cups of stock and let it simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Throw in the shrimp and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Finally adjust seasonings and soup consistency to your own liking.
- Serve and enjoy!
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]