How to make Kipper Carbonara.
Ingredients: Serves 2
- 2 kipper fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150-200g pasta of choice
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- Salt, to taste
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Remove the skin from the kipper fillets.
- Pull or scrape off any of the fine bones that will come away easily (smaller remaining ones will be barely noticeable once cooked) and slice the flesh into strips roughly 3 cm long and ½ cm wide (like bacon lardons).
- Bring a large pan of well-salted water to the boil and cook the pasta until al dente.
- Meanwhile, fry the kipper lardons in the olive oil for about 3-4 mins until crispy and golden.
- Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate lined with a sheet of kitchen paper.
- Break the egg into a bowl and whisk to together with the egg yolks and the coarsely ground black pepper.
- If you wish to add salt, do so.
- When the pasta has had the desired cooking time, siphon off a few tablespoons of the cooking liquid with a small jug, then drain the pasta through a colander and return it to the still hot pan.
- Add the kipper lardons and egg mixture and stir continuously until the sauce becomes creamy.
- If it is too wet, return to a gentle heat for short while, or if it is on the thick side, add a splash of the reserved cooking liquid.
- Serve and enjoy!