How to make Japanese Style Meatballs.
Ingredients: Makes 12 Meatballs
For the teriyaki sauce:
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon ginger juice, made by squeezing out fresh, grated ginger
For the meatballs:
- 12 ounces ground chicken
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ cup Japanese panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons oil for frying
- finely chopped green onion, for garnish
- 2 lemon wedges, for garnish
- To make the teriyaki sauce, gently heat the soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar and ginger juice in a small saucepan.
- Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Simmer for 5 minutes then turn off the heat.
- Combine the ground chicken with the salt, pepper and green onion.
- Add the egg and panko breadcrumbs and stir everything to combine.
- Form 2-inch patties or balls and set them on a plate.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch frying pan on high heat for 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high.
- Add the meatballs to the pan and fry, until the bottoms are golden brown, for about 3 minutes.
- Turn the meatballs over and fry on the other side, for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Continue to fry until all the sides are browned, about 2 minutes longer.
- Take the meatballs out of the pan.
- Wipe the frying pan with paper towels to remove the excess oil.
- Return the meatballs to the heated pan and pour the teriyaki sauce over the meatballs.
- Lower the heat and coat the meatballs in the sauce, until the meatballs are cooked through, about 1 more minute.
- Most of the sauce will have been absorbed by the meatballs.
- Serve and enjoy!
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]