How to make Italian Braised Lamb.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 900g (2lb) boneless shoulder of lamb, cut into chunks
- 225g (8oz) shallots, peeled and halved
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- Few sprigs of fresh rosemary and oregano
- 300g (10oz) potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 courgettes, sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Finely grated lemon rind
- Chopped parsley
- Pre-heat oven to 150°C (300°F, gas mark 3).
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and fry the lamb in batches over a high heat until browned all over, adding more oil as necessary.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to an ovenproof dish or casserole.
- Add shallots, celery and garlic to the pan and fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes.
- Blend the sun-dried tomato paste with 450ml (¾ pt) water.
- Pour into the pan and bring to the boil.
- Pour the tomato mixture over the lamb and mix well.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add the sprigs of fresh herbs.
- Cover and cook in oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir in potatoes and courgettes.
- Return to oven and cook for a further 1hr to 1 hr 15 minutes until lamb and potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve garnished with lemon rind and parsley.