How to make an Italian American Lasagne.
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups Italian tomatoes, crushed
- 12 whole fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 5 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano shredded
- 4 oz Italian style dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 sprigs Italian parsley finely chopped
For the lasagna:
- 1 lb ground beef
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- 12 whole lasagna either oven-ready or parboiled
- 10 oz mozzarella, shredded
- 5 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, shredded
For the sauce:
Combine the garlic, olive oil, tomatoes, basil leaves, salt and pepper in a medium saucepan and simmer until the sauce thickens, 20 to 30 minutes.
While the sauce is simmering, mix the ricotta, Parmigiano, bread crumbs, salt and parsley for the filling and set aside.
Brown the ground beef and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Coat a large roasting pan or lasagna pan with olive oil.
Assemble the lasagna as follows (bottom to top): mozzarella, thin layer of sauce, layer of pasta, Parmigiano, ricotta cheese filling, mozzarella, meat, thin layer of sauce and layer of pasta.
Bake for one hour, covered with foil. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Slice into squares and serve.